I finally got it to connect by manually editing the config file, copying the <database> section from the old system config file to the new and changing the server name.
Still would like to know why it wouldnt work and think the error message should indicate more what the problem is.
Yes, I can create a new DB. The problem is I cant connect to an existing DB.
I did an experiment, I created a new DB, deleted the DB and then reconnected to it. It worked. But I still cant connect to my existing DB, and the error message is nonsence.
Also, I cant even connect to the old DB on the old server from the OpenSync install on the new server. I get the same vague “Error Description” error. Sot its not the new database.
Note, its SQL server 2017
Order: #16213. I also sent several emails about this and included the original order.
Just FYI – this is urgent. I already emailed several times about this, and this customer has been down for a week already. The software wont run and claims the eval period has expired.
Thanks for all the feedback gents.
In this latest case, my customer added the fields, so the first thing needed is to tell them not to do that 😉
I guess the easiest ways is Howard’s – just prefix the field names in QB with a number or letter sequence to keep them in order.
Thanks again to all.
Thanks for the help!
I didn’t know custom fields were returned from QB in alphabetical order, but it does fit what is happening in my app. I agree OS is a great tool – I have used AccessbooksRT in my apps for 10 years and just recently switched to OS. I looked at the manual, and it does indicate this (I recently switched from using RT, and didn’t know this manual existed. It doesn’t seem to be installed to the system on the app install, you have to get it on the web site).
I will say that I use another third party tool that allows getting data from QB custom fields by the QB dataextname, so I agree there are better ways this could be implemented. I’ve been working with databases a long time and I’ve never seen an app that suddenly starts writing different data to a field with no warning.
I guess the only way to detect this happening would be for me to store some type of snapshot of the contents of the dataextdef table in my app, and compare it to the database copy before I access any custom fields.