OpenSync

Home Forums OpenSync OSConfig.xml Loading from System or User?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Casey 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Casey
    Premium Member

Hey all,

Maybe a random question, but I’m not sure where to find answers anywhere else. I’ve implemented an application that edits the OSConfig.xml files to import new companies and what not. However, for some reason, it seems that OpenSync stores two versions of OSConfig.xml files. They are located in:

User

C:\Users\[%user%]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Synergration\OpenSync\OSConfig.xml

System

C:\ProgramData\Synergration\OpenSync\OSConfig.xml

I’ve tried every scenario to try to figure out why OpenSync would load/save to one and not the other. It doesn’t seem to have anything to do with permissions, because even an Admin account will save to user-specific, but then will sometimes load from the System version of OSConfig.xml. This is so odd because half of the time we have to duplicate the file between the two manually. Consequently, different users seem to have different versions of OSConfig.xml files, but we don’t want that. Is there a way to force OpenSync to always use the file in ProgramData (System)?

Would you guys also happily describe why there are two versions and which one is to be loaded when?

Thank you so much!

Tom Crawford
    Keymaster

This is not a function of OpenSync but is controlled by Windows when users remote into a machine. Windows will virtualize the standard c:\Prorgam Data folder to C:\Users\[%user%]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData.

OpenSync does allow you to override this by setting using the OpenSync.ini file located in the folder c:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Synergration. The file contains one setting as shown below.

[Default]
    DataPath=c:\OpenSync Data

This should enable you to override Windows virtualization of the C:\Program Data folder and force OpenSync to always look in the location specified by the DataPath parameter.

Casey
    Premium Member

Excellent explanation! Thanks a lot, Tom! That makes perfect sense. I’m glad to know that OpenSync gives the option to manage that. Thank you again!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.