OpenSync

Home Forums OpenSync OpenSync is super slow

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Howard Katz 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Pavel Brun
    Premium Member

This has be stumped, but just recently, OpenSync is running super slow. At times, it stalls trying to query Quickbooks?

Anyone encounter a super-slow sync situation? If so, what options do you have to fix the issue?

Paul

Yudel Rosales
    Keymaster

Have you tried on re-staring the computer?

Howard Katz
    Premium Member

I assume that the slowness is different from how it normally behaves.
    1. Check that you haven’t picked up any malware. My favourite is ADWCleaner (now owned by MalwareBytes), download it from https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
    2. Ensure that drive caching is turned on. My Computer (or This PC) -> Right Click for Properties -> Device Manager -> Disk Drives -> Double-click on your drive -> 2nd tab-Policies
    3. If you haven’t been using a Solid State Drive, migrate to one. I strongly prefer Samsung Evo 850/860, 5-year warranty, best migration software I have seen. You may also need a 2.5″ to 3.5″ drive adaptor plate to fit the SSD into your PC (replacing the existing hard drive).

That’s my 2 cents.

nathan1
    Participant

I would like some help with this. It takes me about an hour or more to add about 500 sales receipts. Are we growing too big for opensync and quickbooks? or can I do something to make this faster? I was using a godaddy hosted mysql db but now I am using one that is on this local computer which has a SSD drive. Is my SSD drive just slow? What can I test or try to speed it up?

Yudel Rosales
    Keymaster

Do you have OpenSync installed in the server? That could speed it up.
    Best Regards,

nathan1
    Participant

Yes it’s installed on the server. How long should it take to add 100 sales receipts with 2 or 3 lines on each receipt? Should it be 45 minutes or like 4 minutes?

Yudel Rosales
    Keymaster

These are children tables: linkedtxndetail, txnexpenselinedetail, txnitemlinedetail ans itemgrouplinedetail. Those need to be populate as well. So, it should be more that that 100 item. Are you populating the database or adding them to QB. On the main windows of OpenSync go to File->Options and check on Populate or Update Trace depending on what are you doing. This will generate xml file, so you will be able to see how many records are being transferring.

nathan1
    Participant

Thank you for your help. I’m just not sure what to do because it’s taking about 5 or 8 hours to add my records for the day. About 1k orders is taking all day and making quickbooks almost unusable. I have been working with opensync for a few years now, but I’m worried maybe I need to get a new system. Any other suggestions? Should I host my quickbooks server on some other type of server or do linux or something?

Yudel Rosales
    Keymaster

I don’t know what to tell you. That is depending on your computer speeds. How much time it used to take?

Howard Katz
    Premium Member

Three key things will affect your overall performance:
    1. Drive speed: First – it’s gotta be an SSD! However, there are significant between types and generations.
    – SATA SSDs run at 300MB/sec on 2nd generation Core i5/i7 processors and older; but twice as fast (600MB/sec) on 3rd generation and newer.
    – M.2 SSDs can run more than 5

times

faster than SATA SSDs – up to 3,200 MB/sec read, 2,000 MB/sec write. However, you need a system with a 6th generation Core processor to natively support M.2 SSDs. Earlier models can get support for this kind of speed using SSDs which attach via the PCI Express slot, instead of a (speed-limited) SATA interface. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Note: you can’t boot off an M.2 SSD unless you’re running Windows 10 (or Server 2012 R2).
    2. Memory speed: It can makes a significant difference. The latest generations from Intel (7th and 8th generation Core processors) run memory at 2400 MHz. That’s 50% faster than 6th generation processors, and twice as fast as 4th generation processors. However, if you’re running Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2, beware: 7th and 8th generation processors will NOT successfully run these older operating systems. It’s Windows 10 only for these.
    3. CPU speed: I leave this to last, because typically the bottleneck is either with drive speed or memory speed. If you can, go for the faster Core i7 processors (or most recent Xeon processors for workstations / servers). Note that processor count won’t help; OpenSync is single-threaded, so you need the processor with the fastest single-thread speed, not the greatest number of processors.

Howard Katz
    Premium Member

A quick comment on “servers”:
    Most servers are equipped with rotating drives, not SSDs. Those drives are typically configured in a RAID 5 array – a super-cheap way of achieving redundancy. Unfortunately, RAID 5 is also super-slow.
    My recommendation is to get your QuickBooks database off the server, and onto a dedicated workstation (which can serve up the application just as effectively). Equip the workstation with the fastest processor you can find, the latest generation Intel (14 nm circuits, crazy-tiny and therefore crazy-fast) and the best NVMe SSD you can find (I happen to love Samsung 960 Pro, not only for speed but for the best warranty in the industry). I promise that you won’t be disappointed with the improvement.

nathan1
    Participant

Great information, Howard thank you for this. I believe I have located the issue, we were in multi-user mode and there were 3 people trying to write to QB at the same time. It seems that it’s not really setup to allow that. This has nothing to do with opensync because QB slows down when people are using it like normal. I’m already on enterprise so I wonder if it’s time to switch to a different accounting software. That would be sad as I’ve used qb for 20 years. In any case, thanks for the info, I think everyone should upgrade to a good SSD as this seems to make a huge difference, and plenty of ram.

Howard Katz
    Premium Member

QBE (Enterprise) IS set up to allow that; in fact they use a different database for QBE than with Pro/Premier (Sybase SQL Server for QBE, I am told). If you do find a resolution, I’d be really interested in hearing about it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.