OpenSync

Home Forums OpenSync Getting Automatic Syncing to work?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Raymond 4 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

mark1
    Participant

We have not been able to have open sync run automatically properly on the server. It might work for a while, but eventually it gets some kind of error and stops.

We have a scheduled task that triggers on startup and runs osrunner.exe, and it runs whether the user is logged in or not. The quickbooks file is located on a physical disk and not a network share.

The open sync log gets the error Could not start QuickBooks.: -2147220472
    But it looks like it does run the tasks its supposed to a few times sometimes.

Now, I have learned some new information today. Apparently there is a remote user that logons on to the server under their own user account and uses quickbooks. There are also some other company files that they may login to sometimes. Is it possible this is causing our issues, or could it be something else?

The server is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Thanks

Tom Crawford
    Keymaster

Yes, when another user runs QB in a different session, this will cause the QB startup requested by OpenSync to fail. This is an inherent flaw in the QB API.

mark1
    Participant

Ok so I now have opensync running in a vm, and no one is logging into it to run quickbooks. It works sometimes if I manually run open sync and run it, but I am still getting a bunch of different errors.

Could not start quickbooks -2147220472
    Timeout Connecting to quickbooks, killing qbw32.exe
    MakeQbConnection Error: Could not get the name of the current QuickBooks company data file.

I have a windows task that runs OSRunner.exe on startup whether or not the user is logged in.

I honestly have no idea what is going on with this program right now.

mark1
    Participant

i’m also getting this error now too when i try to run it manually
    Faield: the user you are trying to log in with is already logged in from another machine.: -2147220425

maybe i’m missing something here, this program is capable of running automatically on a server without anyone logging in right? is there an official, complete, step by step guide to set this up properly? the manual doesn’t seem to go into much details about it.

thanks

Tom Crawford
    Keymaster

This indicates that the user OpenSync is configured to connect to QB as is logged in on another machine. The best thing to do is to add a user in QB specifically for OpenSync. Just make sure to give the user full control.

Tom Crawford
    Keymaster

The other thing you need to check is that the company file is using a full UNC path and not a mapped network drive. Mapped drives are not established until a user logs on in Windows.

mark1
    Participant

Yes I am using the full network path.
    Regarding the user, I was under the impression that once open sync was connected to quickbooks, it didn’t take up a user account.

thanks

Pavel Brun
    Premium Member

I build a service wrapper to run my schedule task on the predefined intervals I never was able to get it to run using the ScheduleTask as it to would fail from time to time.

I never found my service wrapper to fail at any given point.

Paul

mark1
    Participant

ya i found this and am currently trying it out.
    http://www.webbexpert.com/how-to-run-synergration-opensync-tasks-as-an-unattended-service/

i can’t believe a product like this has no reliable, built in way to run automatically run on a server.

Tom Crawford
    Keymaster

The truth of the matter is that 90+ percent of the problems we have are related to getting QB to startup and shut down reliably. We are constantly looking for ways to improve this.

Pavel Brun
    Premium Member

The problem is not with starting QB, but shutting it down. When my sync completes, I look to see if the following process is running “QBW32.exe” and if it is still running after my task shutdowns, then I kill the process.

Tom Crawford
    Keymaster

We see problems both starting up and shutting down QBW32.EXE. Make sure you disable the option in QB to “Keep QuickBooks running for quick startups” under Edit – Preferences – General.

Raymond
    Participant

@ Pavel

“The problem is not with starting QB, but shutting it down.”

You’re right, if QB is not shut down after the task completes, it will fail the next time it is scheduled to run.

I use a simple two line PowerShell script that runs very reliably from the Task Scheduler every 15 minutes for 12 hours a day.

& ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Synergration\OpenSync\OSRun.exe’ RefreshAll
    Stop-Process -Name QBW32 -Force

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.