Home Forums CoreObjX / DB Any way to call CoreObjx dll from Access 2013 or above 64-bit edition?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Mark Mauger 5 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Mark Mauger
    Participant

I have used the CoreObjx and CoreObjDB products since 2003 and have been very happy with them.
    With the advent of 64-bit versions of MS Office, you can get backed into a corner if you are a Microsoft Access developer to need a 64-bit edition of CoreObjx (at least) and CoreObjxDB. Is there anything planned?

We have a 32-bit Access runtime application and use 32-bit dlls, ocxs, etc. to add functionality including CoreObjx. If a customer has 64-bit Office, you can’t install 32-bit Access, full product or runtime. You have to remove the 64-bit Office apps and install the 32-bit version. Microsoft used to recommend the 32-bit Office version as the default, but as I understand it, as of September 2018 they started recommending the 64-bit version for new Office installs, at least for Office 365 customers (unless they have 32-bit apps already installed). I am finding that most of my add-ins have a 64 bit edition. If my customers are unwilling to stick with 32-bit office, or uninstall the 64-bit version and install the 32-bit version, I am going to lose existing customers and new sales. I guess QuickBooks was or still is 32-bit (can’t find a lot of information on this so far), so maybe that is the reason CoreObjx is only 32-bit. However, that doesn’t help me if I can’t install 32-bit Access. I read something about a DLL wrapper that can be created to create a 64-bit Dll that can call a 32-bit DLL. Maybe that is a possible answer, I don’t know. The other QuickBooks integration products I looked at so far seem to have a 64-bit option. So I am praying, asking, hoping that Synergration can take a serious look at this issue so I don’t have to go elsewhere.

Has anyone else run into this issue or foresee this as being an issue going forward? Anyone have a solution? Given that Microsoft is pushing 64-bit Office now and the fact that in their infinite wisdom you can’t have 32-bit and 64-bit Office apps on the same PC (even different versions), it is inevitably going to be a problem for Access developers who want to use CoreObjx and CoreObjxDB, but are forced to have a 64-bit version of their app. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I can’t use the Access 2007 runtime forever.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.